a1mtech
a1mtech, ASE Master Certified Tech.
Experience:  Over 20 years experience, working on all types of vehicles
12094419

I have a 94 cadillac seville sts with 98,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 94 cadillac seville sts with 98,000 miles on it. What do I have to do to be proactive on making sure the head gasket doesnt go on it. Is there anything i can do to prevent it from going. If so is it cheaper than then waiting until it actually happens. A friend of mine is interested in buying the car.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  a1mtech replied 1 year ago.

Being Proactive twards an issue like this is really somthing that starts much earlier than at 98k miles, But still is just as necissary now as it was at the beginning of the cars life. #1, Keep the cooling system clean and maintained by changing the coolant regularly. My recomendation is every 2yrs or 30k miles. #2, Replace rubber hoses if they are older than 6 years so they will not fail and cause an overheat. #3, Never allow the engine to overheat. Wich means you are paying attention to the coolant level and the the temperature gauge to catch and issue before it becomes large.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will Dura Seal head gasket repair kit help. The engine isn't overheating but there is some white smoke coming out the exhaust.
Expert:  a1mtech replied 1 year ago.

I have never found that additives such as that, To be affective in correcting or preventing issues. At best I have seen a additive like that Stop a head gasket leak for a few days. My general opinion is that those additives are a waste of money.