Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Cadillac Escalade, 2004, AWD, Problem: AC blows hot on

Customer Question

Cadillac Escalade, 2004, AWD, Problem: AC blows hot on passenger side, but it is blowing normal cold air on the driver's side and on both side vents of the rear. What could be the problem, should I change the AC relay, if so where is it located. Swami.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Is your escalade equipped with automatic or manual climate control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two knobs one for passenger side and one for driver side, and then there are knobs for the rear. They can all be set at different blowing level and also temperature. I imagine this is manual control.

The problem is almost certainly the blend door actuator which unfortunately is not a simple project. It's on the top of the air box toward the center of the truck under the dash. I would first try to reset it by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes, then re connecting the battery and turning the ignition key on for 2 minutes. dont start the truck. then turn the key back to the off position for 2 minutes. Then start the car and see if it is working. It may take a couple attempts. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try what you have suggested first. In the event I have to install a new actuator, I shall appreciate instructions on the steps I must take to reach the actuator, can it be reached by dismantling the glove box? Does this car take only one actuator, or there are two - one for the passenger side and another for the driver side?

I can definitely give you the directions. I am not at the shop at the moment but will be in the morning. I don't think you can access it through the glove box. I have heard of people actually removing the top of the dash board though to gain access. There are 2 actuators for the front. Driver side and passenge side. The driver side is much easier than the passenger to replace.

here is the procedure for the blend door actuator.

If my answer has helped you please remember to click accept and rate. If you need more assistance please ask and I will do all I can to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the first method of disconnect battery and the procedure there off, it did not work. So I need to replace both actuators of drivers side and passenger side. YOu have given instructions for the driver side, can you post instructions for removal and installation of passenger side actuator? Can you also let me know how to recalibrate after installation?

You indicated that everything worked correctly except the passenger side which is the right side. That's what I sent you. Do you want the procedure for the driver side as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the pictures you sent me were for the driver's side, it shows that I have to pull the instrument dash board after lowering the steering wheel, so kindly clarify both the passenger side and driver side. The driver's side AC also randomly quits and then returns. So I will try changing the actuators on both sides. Also I have noted a black colored button like feature very near the wind shield glass. This widget can be seen from the top of the dash panel and is located between the defrosting vents facing the wind shield glass, is this some kind of a sensor?

Your having ac problems on both sides? I would check the charge first to make sure your not a little low on freon. It's not uncommon for low freon to have ac blow cold on one side and not so cold on the other. Here is the procedure for the driver side blend door actuator.

and when your a little low, your compressor will cycle off more than it should which will cause intermittent cooling so check the charge first with a set of gauges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pulled the bezel out of the way. But the top board facing the wind shield also needs to come off. I have unscrewed it on both sides of the fuse box and have also unscrewed it from the frame on the bezel side. It is still firmly attached on the passenger side. Please provide instructions on how to pull the top board, because I need to access the passenger side actuator from the top. It is probably sitting near the radio area.

I've provided all the instruction I have. I will open it up in case someone else has something better.

Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. I think the instructions you need for your passengers side are in the link below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the revised figures. I have this question. How to remove the IP carrier?. This item is labelled (1) in the figure where (2) is labelled as HVAC assembly and (3) is labelled actuator. Hope to hear from you.Swami