Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Xlr misses a little at start up and smoke smells like anti

Customer Question

Xlr misses a little at start up and white smoke smells like anti freeze also check engine lite is on comming up 305 code
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

.

**** PLEASE REMEMBER THAT A BAD RATING WILL NOT GIVE YOU AN AUTOMATIC REFUND ***** However there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

If for some reason you don’t wish to rate the answer please state in a post that you are happy with the answers and the service I have provided so that I can send it in as a no click rating and get paid for my time, thanks