Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

It started in March, the cts was starting to show signs of

Customer Question

It started in March, the cts was starting to show signs of needing a tune up. Meaning I would do oil changes and air filter and or clean the the throttelbody. But I was getting a like if it had wires to the plug this little miss, so I decided to change
the plugs. Call my local parts store and felt the price for one ignition coil to plug was out of my range for a complete tune up. So I searched the web and found what I thought was a great deal for the price of six. But I did not read the small print that
said it might not be compatible to vehicle. Hence where my troubles began, once I change all of them with these ignition plugs the first start up was great it ran clean for about two or three days than it started with this miss and as the days went on it started
to get worse. I took it to a mechanic who put it on a diagnostic computer and it showed I had two ignition plugs misfiring, #1 and #3 and he told me about the plugs. So he tried using some of my old plugs with a couple of the new one and it work for about
well untill I got the vehicle home. I see I can't explain it like I want so here the shorter verison. I drove it one day for abut two hours and after that it ran clean. But because of the misfiring the catalytic converter on the right side is cloged, not the
problem. I was working on something else with this cts for a few days and when i went to start it up it ran even worse, had it checked and the codes came back that #2,4,and 6 weren't firing checked it by unpluging two of the plugs and saw spark. So I changed
all the ignition plugs to coil spark plugs and the fuel injectors, it runs pretty much the same. Could out of all the other reason be, could it be the PCM. It will start if I hold my foot to the pedal rpm's will go up but die back down then back up, and won't
hold idle. All the hoses are connected.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Sounds like the great deal was not such a great deal after all. My immediate suggestion is to get all new AC Delco coils. It is likely you will need an ECM. A converter is going to have to be replaced with a direct fit unit. DO NOT go universal for any reason. It also sounds like you may have a fuel delivery problem. possibly a fuel pump problem.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.