Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I went to put my heat shift in reverse but it went into

Customer Question

I went to put my heat shift in reverse but it went into nutruel and I lost all mechanics of the shift lever. It just flops around and does not in gage or have any dealing.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gear shifter is what I meant. When I turn my car off it locks up as normal. When I start the truck the gear shifter just flops around. No noise, no pressure, light said it is in neutral. First time this has happened. Transmission was not making any noes nor did anything different happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

By flops around you mean that it moves front and back right? Or does it move side to side as well?

My immediate suspicion is that your shift cable broke

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I am thinking that it is the shift cable. It moves side to side and up and down. When I turn the truck off it does not move. Is this something I can by at an auto store and replace myself? I am sort of stuck in a small town.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The cable looks like it is a 2 hour job. I am sure you can get it locally

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't wait 24 hrs of a response. I need to now if I need a tow truck or if this is a fix I can do. I am mechanically inclined.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I dont understand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops did not see the last response. It said you requested another professional and he would get back with me with in 24 hrs. I alled orylies. They say the 07 ext Cadilac has no gear shifter cable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it called something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it looks like maybe you don't have to replace the hole cable. Is there such thing as a repair kit for shift cables. I will not be able to look at my phone for a while. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Part number, part name, etc
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Looks like a upper and a lower cable. I attached the GM Part numbers. I do not like these numbers because they are rarely accurate

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.