Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1999 Deville the gas gauge, interior light the windows do

Customer Question

1999 Deville the gas gauge, interior light the windows do not work. The car runs and never fails to start. We get code P1610. The dash cluster takes about 10 seconds to light up.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Do windows work after 10 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the windows do not start to work
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did all problems start at the same time? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
notice the interior lights and delay in dash gauges right away and notice the gas gauge not working and got the P1610 code.. Was told the day before the pass key message was given by car. "car may fail to start. but only got it once. And car always starts. Security light does not flash and I do not get any check engine light..
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your body control module has failed which controls all of the vehicles electronics. This is about a $450 job to have done at dealership. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the bcm. the dealer do not carry the part any more. The one I got was plug and play. It was all pre programed. But I have a scanner and I do not know how to program VIN in unit or check it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If it was preprogrammed then there shouldn't be anything left to do. Did new BCM work exactly the same as the old one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing changed not working fuel gauge not working windows all the all the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same code P1610
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may have a few unrelated problem. Replace the accessory delay relay and let me know if that helps, here is a picture of it. It is taped into harness.
0-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ot8oj96vktp6k/1n.pdf?dl=0