Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS-4. My engine light went on and

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS-4. My engine light went on and when I got the DTC it read p0601. I need to know what that code means? Ty.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the P0601 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem internal of the on-board computer. Its a problem with the Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM). This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the engine control module (ob-board computer). So, basically, it's very similar to a hard drive crash in your home computer. The ECM detects a read only memory (ROM) checksum error at ECM power up. The error is detected 5 times, then a 5 second delay for MIL ON after the fifth detection. Unfortunately, the most common repair here is to replace the on-board computer. "Some" times a re-programming can solve the problem, but more times than not, the on-board computer will need to be replaced. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.