FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I just read about the cadillac csm comment about key stuck

Customer Question

I just read about the cadillac csm comment about key stuck in the ignition, engine won't start, gauges won't move park doesn't illuminate, battery voltage is good. All windows and radio works. We checked all the fuses and they appeared to be good under the hood. I read that you said the fuse box under the back seat. How do you get under the back seat?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. This is very common on this vehicle. This is almost always caused by a failing ignition switch. I have changed many of these on this vehicle. It can also be an issue with the shifter cable being worn out or the fuse box, but those are not nearly as common. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked every fuse in both fuse boxes. We have even checked the starter wire and it feels good and tight. I did get a recall on the ignition switch. So could that be the problem that is preventing it from starting and releasing the key?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the ignition switch definitely can. This is by far the most common failure I have seen on this car. If you have a recall go and get it taken care of for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But we can't get it to start Or get the key out. It just clicks. If I call GM will they send somebody to get it? Otherwise we can't get it started to even drive it anywhere. We have worked and worked but nothing.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The dealer would cover this if they determined that to be the issue. Did you happen to try jump starting the vehicle to see if you had a voltage issue keeping it from functioning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put a new battery in it and checked everything we could think of. Everything works fine. Lights radio, etc but it clicks when u try to start it and it won't release the key. We tried starting it with the hood up and u can hear it click but won't start. It gives us a code U0100 I believe it is. It says their has lost connection with the ECM and The key is stuck in the ignition, it won't come out.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If the ignition switch is not functioning then the modules will not power up properly. What happens if you move the shifter into neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't help at all we have checked all fuses all the lights work but everything else on it works when u turn the key won't do anything then the key will not turn back enough to come out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then we got the recall on it about a faulty key switch
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The ignition switch itself carries a series of electrical contacts in it. If it shorts internally it does not send the "on" signals to all of the modules. This is what is occurring. You can remove the key if you have the release hole under the steering column that you can stick a small screwdriver in to release it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will try that tomorrow and see if that helps
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know what else I can do to help. Have a great rest of your night.