Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Pete, I have moved on since we last emailed. I found a 1993

Customer Question

Hi Pete, I have moved on since we last emailed. I found a 1993 engine with 68,000 miles and had it installed. It runs great! Now I have other questions. 1. I have a power window on the driver's door that has stopped operating. It is in the up position
thank goodness, but will not go down or make any noise. I had the track lubricated which didn't do much good 3 weeks ago at the Cadillac dealer. He said the electrical system was working, but he did not open-up the door to look inside. I have been going to
my local Pull-A-Part junkyard and have found many parts to make my car look better. I went this week to find a new window motor. I found it, but I cannot get the motor removed. It is riveted. I drilled out the rivets, but I cannot see how to detach it from
the operating belt. I cannot see it at all except with a mirror and that's not good enough to figure it out. Is there anything on the internet with pictures from the inside? I have replaced this motor on other cars, but there was always an opening at the motor
where it could be swapped out. How do you get this out and install a new motor? 2. What temperature do you think the A/C should blow from the vents? Mine are blowing 50 degrees. The mechanic that installed the new/used engine said he could not get it cold
enough, so I took it to the Cadillac dealer and he installed a new high pressure line with filter. He advises the next step would be to replace the condenser. Does anything need to be done with the evaporator? 3. Something is not right with electric door locks.
You can push the door switch to lock and the doors lock, then sometimes as you are walking away all locks unlock. Where is the electrical box that controls this? Do I need to replace it? Sometime, years ago I had to replace 2 computers, as they were called.
Where are these computers located? Thanks for your help.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
1.I think once you remove the window regulator you should be able to see how the motor comes off of the regulator.Below is a link with some info as well as some instructions on removing the regulator.
REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
1. Trim panel and water deflector.
2. Regulator to door inner panel rivets using a 6.3 mm (1/4") drill bit. Punch out rivet centers, then perform drilling operation.
3. Lock actuator linkage.
4. Regulator guide and block assembly from lower sash channel by positioning window half way down, and pushing regulator forward. Once removed, tape glass in full up position.
5. Wire connector.
6. Regulator through access hole.
7. Module to door inner panel rivets.
8. Wire Connectors.
9. Module.
INSTALL OR CONNECT
1. Position regulator to door through access hole.
2. Guide and block assembly to regulator.
3. Wire connector.
4. Regulator to door using 6.3 mm (1/4") peel type rivets.
5. Module to door using 4.8 mm (3/16 inch) rivets.
6. Wire connector.
7. Remove tape and check window operation.
8. Water deflector and trim panel.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfb6alk52qw79x2/mo-08-17.gif?dl=0
2.Your ac temp output can vary somewhat.Usually you want to see around 35 to 45 degrees all depending on outside temp and humidity.If there is a restriction in the condenser this can cause a fault like this here with it needing replaced but I would have the ac system tested to be sure this is the cause.
3.This may be a short in the wiring leading to the drivers door at the hinge area causing the locks to act up like this here.If this has not been checked this should be done and if a fault is found it will need repaired.
I don't know for sure what computers you are speaking of here as there are a few on this model.If you can tell me the locations or what the computers operate I may be able to look them up for you.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I'm sorry for the delay on my part. I resently retired and I don't check email everyday.
1. Thanks for the window diagram. That helps a lot. I'll go tomorrow and try it. I need to drill more rivets.
2. I'll return to the dealer and have him check the condensor. Can the evaporator be part of the problem? (I guess that's what you
call the part in the passenger cabin.)
3. I'll check for shorts in the door wiring for the door locks.
Thanks Randall
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It is possible the evaporator is the cause here as well.This would have to be checked into further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.
Thanks Pete