Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I HAVE A 2000 CADDY DHS THAT DOES NOT RESPOND TO THE KEY

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2000 CADDY DHS THAT DOES NOT RESPOND TO THE KEY SWITCH "START POSITION". tHE STARTER TURNS THE MOTOR WHEN THE START RELAY IS JUMPED. I THINK IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SECURITY SYSTEM BUT NOT SURE. I DO NOT HAVE A KEY FOB.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS ANYONE THERE?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALL 3 IGNITION FUSES IN THE REAR (UNDER SEAT) FUSE BOX HAVE POWER ON BOTH SIDES WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS ON.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I have attached a security learn procedure. Let me know if this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks sam. I will check this out later today and get back to you.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relearn procedure did not work. I tried all three programs separately with no luck. Is there an electrical point that I can test voltage that tells if the security system is locking me out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there possibly a by-pass procedure for the security system? The key I have was produced by the local Cadillac Dealer and it looks just like the passkey III transponder. The Dealer had the VIN.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the relay and verify power and ground? I am attaching a relay diagram. 86 and 87 should be power and 85 grounded when turned to start? This will help is determine direction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
86 gets power but 85 does not get ground.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Does 87 have power? The PCm is what provides the ground to 85. I would need some scan data to see why the PCM is not allowing a start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
87 gets power and the starter does turn the motor when I jump power from 87 to 30 but with the key switch turned on at the same time, the motor does not start. The fuel pump does not pump but when I checked for fuel pressure at the test point on the fuel rail feed line, it had "initial" pressure that died quickly. It did not re-pressurize.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I said the motor does not start, I mean it does not "fire up". The term "start" means different things to some. It does crank over continuously.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

That definitely sounds like a theft problem. I would suspect the resistor in the ignition switch. I can give you procedure to bypass. It will likely require another theft learn. It only is effective of the resistor in switch is bad. Which is the most common failure.

here is the link to a youtube video that works. Please be aware this is a permanent bypass not a test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9svRLEA6w&list=PLjvhXrbbxpDMxCxQQkPvYKlqYmab2I58x

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Sam. I will work on that tomorrow.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Let me know your results and dont forget to leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow! I viewed a number of video's but none seem to match this Cadillac. The number of black wires and yellow wires exceed the number shown in the video's. I will try to get a good picture that I can hopefully send to you showing the wires. One cable group is a "ribbon" cable. Do you know if that is the one?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you send a picture of what you have and a picture of your key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have not had time to stick with this project. I have attached the picture of the wiring under the steering column on the Cadillac. If you need one showing a specific bundle, just let me know.
I cannot figure out which wires to splice here. The black wires (two of them) both have a white tracer on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I opened my copy of the picture, it was blown up so big it takes two or three screens to show it all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to view the picture?