Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Ihave a 199devill cad and the display went out I checked the

Customer Question

ihave a 199devill cad and the display went out I checked the fuses ! ok what next?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

If the fuses are good, the cluster has likely failed. It's common for them to simply go out and never light up again.

Removing the cluster is a bit of work, the upper dash pad has to be removed. When you or your mechanic access the cluster, you or he can check the power and ground circuits at the cluster connector. If they're good, the cluster needs to be replaced.

Reman clusters can get had at your dealer for around $350 exchange. The labor to replace it will be a couple hundred dollars, too, so you can expect this repair to be between $500-600. If your mechanic gets to the connector and finds that there is a problem with the power or ground, he can stop there and repair the circuit, and thus save you the money on the replacement, but you can't verify this until you access the cluster anyway. Plus, the likelihood is pretty high that the cluster just needs to be replaced.