Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I replaced the engine in a customers 1999 deville and now it

Customer Question

I replaced the engine in a customers 1999 deville and now it wont start ... Turn the key on to run and the security light will go out after 5 sec and go to start and it has fire and will start on starting fluid then dies ....cant hear fuel pump and no pressure on gauge. After key is released the security light comes on and flashing ...get out of car with keys and lock the door locks and the light will stay on steady ....unlock the drivers door and the security light goes out and stays out till the key is put in and still no start ....any help would be cool !!!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

My name is*****

You will need to try and do a theft Relearn.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required:

None

Important: The vehicle learns the password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank-you
Dan J

Put battery charger on the vehicle on a low charge so the battery doesn't die while performing the Relearn Procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan my security light as stated in my original post goes out 5 seconds after the key is turned to the run position and doesn't come back on until I turn the key back to off ...???

Can you check the system for any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I 'll check in the morning ...battery has been disconnected on and off ...I'm thinking any codes would have been erased ...

They probably would erase but if you have a hard failure code it will come right back. Check the BCM for codes also.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy

to answer follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be a week before im back at the shop to see if any hard codes come up
Ok.
Keep me updated.
Thanks
***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I scanned the car tonight ....cleared all codes ...and this is what came back PO118 and PO231 ...

Here is a description of the 2 codes. If you need the trouble shooting chart for them I can send it.

DTC P0231 Fuel Pump Feedback Circuit Low Voltage

Circuit Description

The fuel pump receives power from CKT 120 through the fuel pump relay. The PCM energizes the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds at key ON to provide fuel pressure for starting. After the 2 second fuel pump prime, the PCM will not power the fuel pump relay until 4X reference pulses are received indicating that the engine is turning (crank or run). The PCM monitors voltage on the fuel pump power CKT 120 to detect fuel pump voltage supply faults. DTC P0231 is set when the PCM sees the fuel pump not energized (2 volts or less on the feedback circuit) with the engine cranking or running.

DTC P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Circuit Description

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is a thermistor, a sensor whose resistance varies with temperature. The ECT sensor signal is on CKT 410 and sensor ground on CKT 808. As the temperature increases, sensor resistance decreases. Low coolant temperature will result in high signal voltage on CKT 410. DTC P0118 sets because the coolant temperature cannot be less than −38°C (−36°F) when IAT is greater than −5°C (23°F) or the engine has been running long enough too warm above −38°C (−36°F).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think im going to need the trouble shooting chart please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked fine before taking engine out ...and i can hear something running non stop all the time the key is on ..its coming from the back of the car ...sounds like the compressor running
.

Here is chart for P0231.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the pink wire on the FPR and had less than 2 volts as well on the gray....if i put 12volts to the pink wire I can hear something under the dash click and of course there is no power to the fuel pump fuse ...Did I mentioned I hate wiring ...lol

You need to check to see what voltage you have at cruise relay.

Then work your way back towards the Ign 1 relay and Ign 1 fuse.

Thank-you
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the pink wire that comes out of the Ing relay was dead but the red that feeds the relay had 12 volts ...so i changed out the relay and then the pink and the other 4 circuits had power but still no fuel pressure...what color it the wire that feeds the pump ??

The wire is white off the Relay but turns to Grey.

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.

Please take the time to leave feedback and Rate my service for my response to your question.

Thank You for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guy is going to put it on hold for now ....this car is a POS ...one thing after another ....told him to come take it out of my yard ...and cant collect a dime ....pissed

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service and the info I provided to you, so this question can be closed out.

Thank-you
***** *****

If you could please Rate the service and info I gave you, it would help to close out this question in my database.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dan..The customer hasnt been back as of yet ...