Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

2006 Cadillac CTS with 3.6 liter V6. In idle, there is a squeaking/ch

Customer Question

2006 Cadillac CTS with 3.6 liter V6. In idle, there is a squeaking/chirping noise ... Sounds like it comes from behind the instrument cluster panel. Still does it while driving, but it does seem to go away at higher speeds; road noise may be masking it? Pretty loud and varies in pitch. Is not 100% constant on idle, but 75% of the time is a safe estimate. Car was in minor fender bend at right front, but no loss reported according to car fax.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It almost sounds like a clicking relay that is firing repeatedly ... Are there any modules behind the instrument cluster panel area that have been known to do this?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. I also do not work in an office awaiting your reply. I run a small business and will do my best to answer quickly. Depending on the day and time there may be a delay in getting back to you.Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. There are lots of modules behind the dash. Does it do it while in park with the engine running? Does it increase with engine speed while in park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is fairly constant. It doesn't increase or decrease with rpm's. The idle fluctuates between 750-500. The noise just comes and goes, but is present about 75% of the time. Sounds like a bird chirping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got a better feel for it today. With the key turned to ACC, it does it. Haven't dropped the panel directly under the dash at the steering column yet, but the CLICKING is coming from directly above the footwell light ... There is also a "whirring"sound coming from under the steering column dash, but more towards the center console area. Sounds like a relay opening/closing 3+ times per second (under the light). Guess I start unplugging modules/pulling fuses until I figure it out?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
It is process of elimination time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I'm thinking ... Turned EVERYTHING (ac, radio, etc) off ... It is still present ... Almost like its a relay or motor for the cluster panel ... Maybe for the needles? I have no clue how the cluster panel works. Weird thing is, stick my head up under steering wheel, clicking from just under the panel, slightly left of steering column/a motor sound (sounds like a small servo motor), more towards center console ... Stick my head under passenger side of dash, motor sounds like it is there too ... Maybe a vent motor that comes on in ACC? Almost seems like two separate issues. No idea.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Since I cannot see or hear it the only recommendation I can give you is process of elimination