Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Cadillac Eldorado ETC: I have a 1993 Cadillac ETC Service

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1993 Cadillac ETC Service Ride Control is always on, even though there is nothing wrong
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
There are multiple facets to this. The most common failures are height position sensors (one at each corner of the car) and the struts themselves (electrically operated). There isn't much point in diagnosing it, however, as the replacement parts have been out of production for quite some time. I have a customer with a 93 Eldorado that needed a height sensor last year, and I ended up having to find them in a junkyard some distance away. You can read the trouble codes without a tool, do you know how to do that? Key on engine off, press and hold the OFF and WARMER keys on the dash until everything lights up, then release. After a few seconds, the instrument cluster will start reading out the codes to you. Write them down, there may be quite a few of them. Let me know what those codes are, then we'll see what can be done to fix this up for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jerry,checked the codes and this is the result
No TCS, No ACP, No SIR, No IPC.
S026 History
S044 History
S055 History
S060 History
S061 History
PCM?
Hopefully you can figure out what it all means.
I can. When you get to PCM? the fan up/down switch works like a yes/no button. The computer is asking you, do you want to access the PCM? Answer no/fan down, and it will cycle through until you get to the suspension (RSS or SSS, it may be called something different). At that point, answer yes/fan up, then cycle through some more until you find CLEAR CODES? and answer yes. The problem here is that you have codes set for all four corners of the car, which is common. You need to clear the codes, then drive it until the message comes on again, then immediately check the code and see what it is, so we aren't erroneously replacing all of those parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jerry,
I have not found anything that reads RSS or SSS. only TCS, ACP SIR and IPC.