Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Cadillac DTS: 2006 Northstar leaks water from the firewall

Customer Question

2006 Northstar leaks water from the firewall side of the engine. When I pour water in the tank it drips out. I put a pressure tester on it and pressurized the system and made it have a steady stream. I can't see where it comes from. No water in the oil or oil in water and does not run hot. I can drive 60 or so miles and have to add less than a gallon. Dealership said was a head gasket probably blown and said over $6000 to fix. My question, is it possible that it's something other than a head gasket and is it common for this engine to leak externally when the gasket goes.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The head gasket can leak from several places, such as from the cylinder to the oil passage or oil return, from the cylinder to the coolant jacket and from the cylinder externally or even from cylinder to another cylinder, plus any of the oil, coolant to each-other or externally. I would remove the hood, mark it first, Crawl up over the fender and lay across the engine and use a mirror if you have to and find exactly where it is leaking. I cannot tell without looking if there are any heater hoses or anything containing coolant there. If's best just to look.When you find the exact spot and if you don't know what it is or what it's called, take a photo and post it and I'll help identify what it is a what gasket or whatever it needs and the instructions to repair it.