Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Once a year I take my STS4 in service check. In the

Customer Question

Once a year I take my STS4 in for the service check. In the last 4 years I have been told the front suspension "air ride" shocks or struts need to be replaced. Is there a way I can check this before taking to the dealership as my car is in the city all
the time and rarely taken out of town. Why would my front suspension be wearing out so quickly? (top kilometers has been 20,000 then replacement is recommended).
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
On what do they base their opinion that they need to be replaced? Is there a ride concern, leakage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I have been told the first time was the right strut was leaking. The second year I was told the left strut was leaking. However up to now the work has been covered on warranty. Once warranty is over I will have to pay myself. I am concerned because both before and after I have not noticed any difference in the ride. Just wanted to begin to cover my concerns before warranty ends. How can I verify these jobs need to be done? Or should I trust they are looking after my car.....
So you have replaced the struts multiple times on this car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes on warranty they have been replaced 3 times.
That is very unusual, it seems like someone is being very overzealous about diagnosing these. A slight amount of seepage is completely normal, if your mechanic is calling this "leakage" then he is being overzealous. You almost certainly don't need to replace your struts again, unless the whole thing is covered in oil and dripping.