Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Cadillac Escalade: my wifes 02 escalade has intermitting starting

Customer Question

my wifes 02 escalade has intermitting starting problems. it may run fine for days then at random just wont start. it will crank over but not start and after repeated attempts from anywhere between 10 minutes and sometimes 30-40 minutes it will just start right up. any thoughts on this?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, because starting fluid doesnt help, we can eliminate both fuel delivery and fuel injector signal.
So we have a secondary ignition issue - coils, cam sensor, crank sensor, or computer.
Is the check engine light on when it is running?
When it is running, any issues with misfires, either idling or under acceleration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the answer is no to both of those
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, that eliminates the coils and the computer.
Which leaves the cam and crank sensor. 90% of the time it is an intermittent fault in the crankshaft position sensor which sends a signal to the computer and coils to coincide the timing of the firing of the plugs with the injectors.
The only sure way to know is to monitor both is an oscilloscope while cranking and it not starting. But if you want to go by experience and percentages, replace the crank sensor
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wouldn't the crank sensor trigger the check engine light?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Only with a hard or total failure. 70-80% of the time a crank sensor is faulty it never sets a check engine light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill replace that but it may be a few weeks before I would feel comfortable saying that the problem is corrected
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good and have a good day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did replace the crank sensor, just finished a little while ago. Wasn't going to rate you till I knew if your answer was what I needed to fix the vehicle, which in this case could take a few weeks before I know for sure.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, that will be fine. The site may send automatic reminders a couple of times, but just ignore them until satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did it again before the night was over....... imagine my frustration now!!
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
do you know anyone with a scan tool with live data capabilities?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Eric, I know it's been a bit since you heard from me but I've been very busy. the good news is that I've since discovered that it actually will run on starting fluid when it's not otherwise starting. I know that I told you it wouldn't but I was trying to shoot it in at the air cleaner. now I've pulled the hose off the throttle body and shot it right down it's throat and it will run for just a few seconds every time I give it a nice shot of ether. what are my options now. thanks for your patience with me!