Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac SRX: Car battery died, car was jumped , radio started

Customer Question

Car battery died, car was jumped , radio started scrolling and not working nor any messages on screen. Battery was replaced at gm dealer radio and message center still does not work. Can it be rebooted they are saying radio needs replaced?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't replace anything until I tried this: disconnect both battery cables from the battery, and hold the two cables together for several seconds. Then, reconnect battery and try it again. This does reboot the modules in the car, and often solves this issue. I'd definitely do that first, since it's free, easy, and quite often successful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a shot
OK, let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work
OK, like I said, it's the cheapest and easiest thing to try first. It is possible that the voltage spike damaged the radio. Some diagnostics are in order, if this were in my shop, I would be checking power and ground circuits right at the radio connector, as well as checking data communication circuits to make sure they're working, but then? Yes, it's probably a radio failure.