Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 98 deville and just replaced the rack, but now

Customer Question

hello i have a 98 deville and just replaced the rack, but now i am getting code c1288 streeing wheel position sensor
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
C1288 generally means the SWPS needs to be replaced. It's a fairly common failure, apparently unrelated to replacement of the steering gear except that you were unfortunate enough to have disturbed it just enough to make it fail. I would be getting a new SWPS for it, this code is rarely anything except a SWPS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello and thanks for the answer, but could i have messed up a wire when changing rack. i hate to replace sensor only to find bad wire. i am aslo getting code c1283
C1283 is a little more interesting. It's more complicated, too, it's telling us that the computer sees the vehicle driving sideways, so to speak. The computer is trying to determine where center is for the steering, and it does this when you drive in a straight line for a short time. It determines whether you're driving in a straight line by watching the lateral accelerometer, mounted elsewhere in the car. This code tells us that the lateral accelerometer indicates that the car isn't driving straight, when it should be. First of all, you shouldn't have been in the vicinity of this SWPS to damage it, it's on the lower end of the steering column. Unless you took the intermediate shaft loose from inside the car for some reason, you likely didn't damage this sensor. Secondly, if these codes are both setting, it can indicate an issue with the 5V reference circuit, which the computer can't really determine, but the computer does notice that the sensors using the 5V reference aren't reading correctly, you can end up with these codes as a result of a problem with the 5V reference circuit. If there was any wiring damage or you suspect that maybe you got too rough with any of the wiring, you'll want to go back and recheck it for damage and repair it as necessary. These two codes combined suggest more of a wiring issue than a sensor issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** near the sensor but there was a harness in the way when removing the rack i had to push it to the side, do you know the routing of the harness
The only harness I can think of is the two wire connector that plugs into the steering gear itself, but that's not a 5V device. Where was this harness located, on the driver's side or passenger side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
driver side
Was it more than two wires? Hanging down near the tie rod bellows or what? I am trying to picture what harness you ran into, perhaps the PRNDL harness, but it shouldn't have been that far down, to be in your way for gear replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the two wire to the rack are good. if i disconect them i get another code so those are working. the harnes was next to the what i think were the fuel lines
The only wiring I can think of in that vicinity would be the PRNDL switch (if it's mispositioned), the RSS and the ABS speed sensor wiring from the LF wheel area, and that's about it. There shouldn't be any 5V reference stuff in that vicinity, so it's not likely that the wiring problem is there. You're going to have to do some diagnostics to pin this down, unfortunately. Go the SWPS and check the 5V reference there, and see what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will let know what i come up with later ty
Sure, let me know if you need anything else. Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had a little time and so far this is what i got:
start the car code c1283 and c1288 both history. code c1288 goes current as soon as i hit the stops on the steering wheelor comes very close, if i never turn the wheel that farit stays history, no matter how long i drive.
after driving about 10 or 15 minutes code c1283 goes active until i turn car off for a while.
the wires i thought i might have moved were not wires they were the fuel lines i looked again and can not see anything i could have touched. i did lower the h frame about 2" or so to change rack.
i checked the the yaw sensor and it is getting 5v ground is good
next is the positoin sensor what do you think
Based on my history of replacing SWP sensors, I'm inclined to say that you might have a bad one, and it could be just coincidence that it started acting up after gear replacement. I think I'd be putting a new sensor in it, just to remove the doubt.