FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac Deville: I have a 98 Deville. My problem is the engine

Customer Question

I have a 98 Deville. My problem is the engine will start to race by itself, It usually runs fine but it seems to be getting worse. The R's go up to about 3000 with my foot off of the pedal . Any ideas what would cause this.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hell, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the idle is higher or lower once the engine warms up? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens on start up and continues Engine light is on
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by a vacuum leak or a throttle body issue. You want to make sure that all of the vacuum hoses are fine. If they are then. Would clean the throttle body first to see if it helps. Did yo plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it myself if it is not to complicated. I did not see any obvious vacuum problems but will check again. I am not a novice, I have been fixing my own cars for years. This is just for your information not being a smart ass
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the throttle body prob?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If the throttle body has a lot of build up or if the throttle plate is not closing all of the way this will happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it tomorrow
Thanks
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you find.