Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Eldorado ETC: Have a 2000 cad eldorado. VATS system

Customer Question

Have a 2000 cad eldorado. VATS system in ignition cylinder already bypassed by someone else. Car will not start now. Showing Theft system problem car may not start. What is problem now? Two white wires coming from Ignition have already been bypassed so it not the ignition cylinder.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the key is says "Starting Disabled" then "Remove Key" Then "Wait 3,2,1 minutes" then "Start Car" Then Displays 'Starting Disabled" again. No security light flashing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not the ignition cylinder white wires. That was already bypassed at the base of the steering column by someone else. I don't know what to do to get the car to start now. It's my only car and I am stuck.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
When was it bypassed, and by what method? The computer is looking for a very specific resistance on this circuit. Has it not started since it was bypassed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition was bypassed by a resist in the key one side wired to one while wire and the other side wired to the other white wire
By far, the most common problem is a resistance issue in this circuit. The fact that it has been bypassed doesn't mean there's not an issue with that circuit. In fact, there is almost never any other cause for this issue, it's very rare to find that the IPC has failed (the cluster, which controls the passkey function and reads the key circuit). Clusters do fail once in awhile, but not usually in this fashion. You have to start by knowing what the correct VATS code is for the car, which means measuring the resistance of the key that is known to have started the car before. Then, once you know the proper resistance, you'd have to access the IPC connector and see if you are measuring that same resistance across the wires in that circuit. My educated guess is that the resistance is wrong, and it cannot be "close enough" to the key resistance, it has to be right, which typically means daisy chaining a number of resistors together in line to arrive at the correct resistance. If this ends up being anything other than a problem with the resistance in that circuit, I would be surprised.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one ignition key was wired into the circuit between the two white wires at the base of the column. It started and ran fine. This was done by someone else. Now it will not start and found this key wired as I told you. So it is not the ignition switch
It's not the ignition switch, exactly, but it does have something to do with this circuit. Even if the key has been wired into place under the dash, if the connection works loose or has any voltage drop across it, you're right back where you started. Or, the key pellet may have gone bad. Regardless, you will find yourself diagnosing this circuit to solve the issue.