Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Cadillac CTS V: Lost steering wheel postion while column was

Customer Question

Lost steering wheel postion while column was disconnected on 06 cts v. How do I find the center of the steering wheel?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,If the column was removed from the car in unlocked position and so allowed to rotate, it is best to refit the column as is, DO NOT TURN the wheel, remove the steering wheel, remove the airbag clockspring assembly.At this point, you can refit the steering wheel (temporary) to check steering operation (mechanicals are ok).Count turns lock to lock and centre the steering wheel, remove steering wheel.With the clockspring in your hand, you should be able to turn the inner lightly to find one "stop", then turn all the way to other side while counting the turns to find the other "stop", then come back to the halfway point.The "stops" aren't solid, that's why you can't do it while it is assembled, you risk breaking the ribbon cable.Some clocksprings have a coloured band that shows up in a window when the ribbon cable is centred.Refit the clockspring once you have found the centre.Refit all other components as necessary.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the procedure for removing the clock spring? Don't you need special tools to remove the airbag ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it does look you do, unfortunately I can't find a picture of the tool.Does your wheel have any holes on the sides or back of the wheel?This procedure may help: Re: Steering wheel airbag removal on 2006 Cadillac cts...There are no bolts ! it takes a special tool , there are spring loaded Fasteners . Pull the handle of the air bag tool away from the instrument panel (I/P) releasing one of the spring loaded fasteners. Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement Tools Required J 44298 Driver Air Bag Removal Tool Removal Procedure Caution: Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in the Preface section. Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section. Caution: A deployed dual stage inflator module will look the same whether one or both stages were used. Always assume a deployed dual stage inflator module has an active stage 2. Improper handling or servicing can activate the inflator module and cause personal injury. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .On the back side of the steering wheel are 3 openings for removing the steering wheel module.Adjust and install J 44298 into 1 of the holes.Important: Seat the air bag removal tool all the way in to perform properly. Pull the handle of the air bag tool away from the instrument panel (I/P) releasing one of the spring loaded fasteners.Repeat this step for the other 2 fasteners.Pull the inflatable restraint module gently away from the steering wheel. Important: Note the wire routing positions on the steering wheel module connectors, the redundant control routing positions, and the horn wire routing positions for the correct assembly. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (4) and the electrical connector from the steering wheel module.Remove the horn contact lead (2) from the steering column cam tower.Remove the steering wheel module 5