Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Seville SLS: my 98 seville's dashboard went dark.

Customer Question

my 98 seville's dashboard went dark. The car seems to be running fine. Is it just a fuse or could it be another problem?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pulled a number of the fuses and they seem to all be fine (back: 1,12,14,15,22,26,29,38,40,and one or two in the front fuse box)
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Generally speaking, this is due to a failed cluster. One thing you should try first is disconnecting both battery cables from the battery, and touching them together for a few seconds. This will eliminate any logic lock situation, which is fairly common, and may save you from having to make any repairs at all. But if that doesn't work, you're going to be facing a cluster replacement, or at the very least, accessing the cluster so you can test power and ground circuits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a cluster if it has to be replaced?It worked great. Thank you soooooooooo much!!!
The cluster is the whole display on the dash that has the speedo, tach, temp gauge, etc. It's all self contained into a large electrical unit called the gauge cluster. Replacement is a fair amount of work, you have to remove the top dash panel and some other pieces. This is also necessary just to reach the electrical connectors, which you'll need to do for testing to verify that the power is present at the cluster, prior to replacement. Not terribly unusual, clusters sometimes just fail and rarely give warning. Rebuilt cluster, including parts and labor, will probably be in the range of $600-800 at the dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again so much.
Of course, good luck with it. -Jerry
Please take the time to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.