Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Caddy: I own a 2003 caddy de ville, and the rear suspension

Customer Question

I own a 2003 caddy de ville, and the rear suspension air bags seems not to be working. What is the problem, what are the components needed in this repair,and how much would it cost? Where is the compressor located and how can I disconnect it?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Is the compressor running, but not lifting the rear of the car? Or is the compressor not running at all? Compressor is located under the car, beneath roughly the back seat area attached to the rear suspension frame. You can generally hear this compressor run if you're listening for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only for about 5 seconds upon starting the car. It stops. It does not seem to lift the car. Can the suspension be damaged if I run the car without the airbags working

No, but it will bottom out more easily over bumps, and obviously if you load the rear of the car (trunk or rear passenger seat) it will ride on the bump stops and be a pretty unpleasant ride. So, compressor works, that's good. There is a height sensor attached to the left rear lower control arm. Get a look at that, make sure it's still attached. If it is, disconnect the link from the arm, and push the link upwards (simulates lower suspension) with the key on, and see if the compressor engages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much will the repair cost. How many components need to be replaced. Can you buy a used part for this problem.

I'm sorry, my last response was not applicable to your car, that was a computer mixup. Most likely, you either need new rear shocks and/or a height sensor. If the height sensor is disconnected, that would explain why the compressor doesn't run like it should. I'd definitely start there, it needs a good diagnosis before we start talking about how much it will cost to fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Sure, let me know if you need anything else on this.