Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2002 cadillac escalade and I changed out the master

Customer Question

I have a 2002 cadillac escalade and I changed out the master brake cylynder but now have an issue with my brake light switch. I can re attach it to the brake pedal but its not working im trying to figure out how it works.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.-On the brake lamp switch 6 pin connector 2 wires are for the brake lamp circuit. The orange wire is power from the 20 amp stop lamp fuse. The white wire is power from the switch to the brake lamp circuit when the pedal is pressed. With the switch attached to the rod and mounted to the brake pedal, when the pedal is pressed the pressure from the rod to the switch closes the switch and power is routed through the switch to the brake lamp circuit. With the switch mounted and the connector plugged in, with a test light verify there is power on the orange wire, if there is power on the orange wire, verify there is power on the white wire when the pedal is pressed. If there is power on the orange and none on the white when the pedal is pressed the switch is defective or the contact in the switch is no set to the rod correctly. The switch should be mounted so that the contact part of the switch is on the end part of the rod to the master cylinder.-I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So my question has to do with the mounting of the switch. Do you have a picture of the mounting?
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
The stop lamp switch can be see in the link below. -Brake Lamp Switch-Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.