Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Cadillac Technician
Experience:  GM, Cadillac Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Cadillac CTS: My 2004 Cadillac CTS Bose 5 disc CD has an error

Customer Question

My 2004 Cadillac CTS Bose 5 disc CD has an error "CD MECH Error". How can I fix it?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give an estimated time for an answer?
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.There is NO Fix, bench or customer, other than Replacing the "complete Mechanism".This will depend on the Part Number inside the Unit, as they used 3 different Mechanisms.GM does NOT sell small parts to repair these Units anymore.You have to buy the complete Mechanism.est apprx $ 185.00 - 365.00 depending on Shop & Parts.....and IF you can even find one.Many times you can buy a rebuilt Unit or Used for less than Repair On-Line, E-Bay, etc.The only problem with getting another Unit is you will have to have GM Dealer Program the Replacementapprx 1 hour labor.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.. Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..Rating is very Important to our Service..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer is it can't be fixed. Replacement depends on a parts number inside the unit. How do you get to the part number?
The answer is it CAN be fixed, only if you can find the correct Mechanism, but I would NOT recommend Customer fix, if you have NO experience.I can also supply a Shop that you can send it to.......You will need to remove the Unit from dash & remove the Face & the Chassis cover that exposes the CD Mechinism & Part Number printed on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you remove the unit?
Remove the center I/P air vents.Pull out on the center I/P vent assembly in order to release the fasteners securing the vent to the I/P.Disconnect the hazard switch electrical connector.Remove the vent from the I/P.Remove the HVAC programer/ashtray assembly.Remove the 4 10 mm screws securing the radio to the I/P retainer.Pull out the radio assembly.Disconnect the electrical connectors.Remove the radio from the vehicle.
Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future.
If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out & relist this to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance!.
Thanks for choosing just answer.