Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Cadillac Deville: 2000 deville engine hot ac off

Customer Question

2000 deville engine hot ac off
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I did notice the hose off the thermostat was very cool while the top hose was hot.
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Is the temperature gauge showing it running hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the gauge goes 3 bars past the center mark with only 1 bar left and sometimes will come down fans are running noticed one fans speed is faster the one on the thermostat side of engine sometimes
The fan behavior is normal. So from the sounds of it the coolant is not circulating either due to a blockage in the radiator or your new thermostat is not working properly. Start by taking the hoses off the radiator and running water through the upper hose and see if it flows free out the lower hose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have heat if that helps and the radiator looks new was the same with the old thermostat?
If its flowing properly something else is raising the temp and then I would suspect a head gasket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the radiator flow and the thermostat as I even thought the hose at the thermostat should be hot but is it normal that I have heat.
Generally if you have good heat you got good flow. But the lower hose being cooler suggests a flow issue. Hard to say for sure. Check your flow.. verify the thermostat opens at the right temp in a pot of boiling water... unhook the upper hose and stick a water hose in the upper radiator hole and run the engine and watch aqnd make sure its flowing properly. If all that passes check for combustion gases in the cooling system with a hydrocarbon tester.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok here's the newest update went out started the car felt both hoses both started to get warm one that runs across top of motor and the one to the thermostat temp gauge rose to more than half way no heat blows cool got out felt both hoses top hose that runs across motor is hot one that goes to the thermosat neck cold also felt radiator tank on passenger side hot as a fire cracker driver side cold that feeds the thermosat very weird as the heat seems to work great sometimes even bled the air out of the system best possible and purge line flows great Thanks I see a lot of people with these cars with crazy symptoms.
My next step would be testing for combustion in the cooling system. I suspect a head gasket failure and youre getting air pockets in the system as a result which will cause all of your issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the combustion test with the blue fluid and tested fine did the test several times with the kit from Autozone that inserts in the reservoir fill with the blue fluid squeeze bulb and never turned yellow.
If its flowing properly as you state and the fans are working the only thing left is either its just getting hotter than the cooling system can cool or its getting air in the system. The only causes of those two things on an otherwise working cooling system would be a leak or combustion entering the cooling system. You dont mention a leak so Im gonna guess its combustion. That kit doesnt always work properly. You can send a sample of the coolant off to be tested to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all flow water pump good flushed engine getting a stant thermostat and will be working on this week will keep u updated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed thermostat with a stant complete block flush now runs good until I see antifreeze leak under car between trans pan and mount also I do see a little leak around waterpump frame not pump itself and if I look at top rear of engine around shift linkage see antifreeze there dont think waterpump casing would leak that far back or do u think it could be intake thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Newest update chaged thermostat heat works good ac cold changed temp sensor drive about 3 miles gauge maxes out and shuts down ac radiator looks new when driving is when it all starts but at idle will be ok for quite some time do you still think its possible headgasket issue as it runs great and never overheats and smokes like older cars thanks for any help even put in new resevoir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes radiator is hot on thermostat side or its cool otherside is hot radiator only six mos old I see a lot of people with the same issues these northstars are a mess
Sorry for the delay. I had to go out of town a few days. Just getting back in.It always has and still does sound like a head gasket leak to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did retest it after engine got hot and now the tester fluid turns yellow bad headgasket so I put the ac delco seal tabs in all leaks below stopped and now seems ok has not went over half way the temp gauge prob temp fix one last thing when I rev engine or drive heat works good but blows cool at idle a lot sometimes fine any idea there