Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

Cadillac STS V: need to remove and replace rack and pinion

Customer Question

need to remove and replace rack and pinion on 97 caddy sts
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.
What year is your Cadillac '97 or '98?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
98
Steering Gear ReplacementRemoval ProcedureTools RequiredJ 42640 Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin Notice: With wheels of the vehicle facing straight ahead, secure the steering wheel utilizing steering column anti-rotation pin, steering column lock, or a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the SIR system. The steering wheel must be secured in position before disconnecting the following components:The steering columnThe intermediate shaft(s)The steering gearAfter disconnecting these components, do not rotate the steering wheel or move the front tires and wheels. Failure to follow this procedure may cause the SIR coil assembly to become un-centered and cause possible damage to the SIR coil. If you think the SIR coil has became un-centered, refer to your specific SIR coil’s centering procedure to re-center SIR Coil. Caution: The frame must be properly supported before partially lowering. The frame should not be lowered any further than needed to gain access to the steering gear.Lock the steering column by installing J 42640 into the underside of the steering column.Disconnect the intermediate shaft lower coupling.Remove the right transaxle mount.Disconnect the pressure and return pipes (1 & 2) from the rack and pinion gear.Disconnect the Magnasteer™ electrical connector.Remove the rack and pinion attaching bolts.Remove the rack and pinion assembly.Installation Procedure Install the rack and pinion assembly.Install rack and pinion bolts.TightenTighten the bolts to 120 Y (89 lb ft).Connect the Magnasteer™ electrical connector.Connect the pressure and return lines (1 & 2) to the steering gear.TightenTighten the pressure and return pipes to 30 Y (22 lb ft).Install the heat shield and bolts.TightenTighten the heat shield bolts to 10 Y (7 lb ft).Install the right transmission mout. Lower the vehicle.Install the intermediate shaft to the steering gear.Tighten the intermediate shaft pinch bolt.TightenTighten the pinch bolt to 45 Y (33 lb ft).Remove the J 42640 from the steering column.Fill and bleed the power steering system.
You can use a bungee cord to keep steering wheel from turning.
Please take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem. I don't get paid unless you rate my service.
Thanks