Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac: I have a 2002 cadillac Escalade & my service stability

Customer Question

I have a 2002 cadillac Escalade & my service stability system light is on, I also have a constent grinding in the front end. I changed the oil in the transfer case but no good. Any sugestions. Wally
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
I don't know that the two issues are related, and I wouldn't treat them as related issues until you have a reason to suspect otherwise. The grinding noise: it can be wheel bearings, but wheel bearings generally make a noise at either the left front or right front. This noise can be observed pretty easily if the car is on a lift with the engine running and transmission in drive, the technician can use a stethoscope to pinpoint it. However, front differential noise is also common on these, requiring bearing replacement to quiet it down. A wheel bearing issue may also be related to a stability issue, but we can't jump to that conclusion. Treat the stability issue: start by knowing the trouble code, and to do this, you'll need a scan tool that can read ABS trouble codes and data. If you want to get some information on the codes and run them by me, I am happy to translate them and point you in the right direction on this.