Bill
Bill, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  30 years of GM vehicle experience
50714430

Cadillac STS: have a whine in rear of 2005 sts cadillac hard

Customer Question

have a whine in rear of 2005 sts cadillac hard right turn no noies hard left turn i get a whine . do you think it a rear wheel bearing or in the rear end
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.
It is almost certainly a wheel bearing. Obviously noises are a bit difficult to diagnose without hearing them. That being said, if sideloading the bearing by turning the vehicle affects the noise... that is an indication of a bearing. It can be a bit difficult to determine which corner of the vehicle the noise is from. Many times at the dealer, they use a tool called "chassis ears" where we place sensors at different corners of the vehicle and road test the vehicle listing to each sensor one at a time. This determines which corner it is from. Another way would be to lift the vehicle and rotate the wheel listening for noise and also rocking the wheel sideways checking for play in the bearing. It also helps to drive with an assistant who can move around in the vehicle including into the back seat and note where the noise is the loudest.
I do believe however based on the information you are giving me that you will almost certainly find it is one of the rear wheel bearings.
Bill