Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Cadillac Escalade: Have 1999 Cadillac Escalade. Has been running

Customer Question

Have 1999 Cadillac Escalade. Has been running fine. Parked at Walmart the other night and hasnt cranked since. Has gas in it, turns over as usual, fuel pump is cycling fine, replaced fuel filter, etc. It is getting fuel to engine. I think it may be electrical but where could the problem be? Has new wires and plugs. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Patientsville.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for codes in the computer? Can I start by getting your VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't checked for codes. I personally don't have an OBD code reader or the like. VIN is 1GYEK13R9XR403782.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. So the engine is cranking over and not starting correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, your first step/check is going to see if the engine has spark while cranking. If so, then we check to see if the engine runs on starting fluid. If so, I would be willing to bet that there is no fuel pressure due to a bad fuel pump.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Now, if the engine does not have spark, then we need to check the secondary ignition system and or the crankshaft position sensor as these are the most likley possible causes for a no start condition on this engine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer to both are yes. It is firing (plugs) and it will crank with stating fluid but will shut off when it's gone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, good! If the engine starts and runs on starting fluid, then we know everything else is in good shape. Ignition and valve timing are OK
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
This also means that we know it is just a fuel delivery problem. So we know which direction to go in. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The next step would be to check fuel pressure. If there is no fuel pressure but the fuel pump is running and there is gas in the fuel tank, chances are the pump is bad and will need to be replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, ok. I dont know the technical name for it but the fuel is making it up to the check valve on the back side of engine .
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is good! But we dont know how much fuel pressure there is correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, before you can pinpoint what is wrong or before replacing any parts, you will need to get a fuel pressure reading. Key on engine off or when cranking it should be about 62 to 64 psi. IF not, then chances are the fuel pump is bad.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If the fuel pressure checks out ok, then chances are the fuel injectors are not pulsing fuel into the cylinders. Usually this is due to a bad passlock sensor inside the ignition lock cylinder.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If this were the case, there would be a security light on or flashing on the dash when trying to start the engine and there would be security related codes stored in the computer that you would want to retrieve before replacing anything as well
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You can try a relearn on the system, however, the passlock still may need to be replaced. Here is the relearn procedure
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! This should get you headed in the right direction. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure working with you!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Have a great weekend and dont forget to rate!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
RegardsCustomer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I ck the psi for fuel pressure?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and take a reading while cranking the engine
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome! Please dont forget to rate my answer for sharing my time and knowledge with you. Keep in mind, you can always ask follow up questions even AFTER you rate my answer at no further cost to you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Customer