Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Cadillac Deville: Getting a battery volts high message after

Customer Question

Getting a battery volts high message after I started disconnecting the alternator without disconnecting the battery ......the l terminal and s terminal clip was broken and those two wires touched ....at that moment I also noticed a puff of smoke come from a box located on the drivers side at the front of the engine at the bottom...may have been the electronic break control module
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help.
I can see on my diags exactly what that box is you refer too - but I would suggest a quick way to ID that would be to get the numbers of it - call up the dealer parts dept, and they will ID it quickly for you..
A short in the electrics as you had can caused an immediate burn in the looms and cause all manner of issues electrically - so I suggest you trace the looms right through - and check for burning signs. Too - "sniff" that box in question..if it smells burned, thats a good sign it is inside and it will have to be looked at further anyway. If it has anything to do with the charge system, that will be your answer.
Its either that - or you have a fault with your replacement alternator - while unlikely it does happen and should be checked - or you have a burn loom issue as above that will again need tracing down manually..
Im sorry there isn't a straight forward answer to this but thats how to trace it down to cure it,.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-Meantime ----- Please do the rating for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that - ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again -
This is MIKE who answered you as above.
Im just checking if there is anything else / more I can help you with on your issue / question you listed.
By all means get back to me if needs be or, if we are done, please do click on the Exc / OK ratings for me at this point...
Thank you for doing that -
Kind Rgds and all the best , MIKE.