FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac 2001: 01 cadillac deville. Changed pcm n ignition

Customer Question

01 cadillac deville. Changed pcm n ignition now no start. Tried the passlock procedure didnt work . What am i missing?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for the question. If you just installed a new or used PCM it needs to be programmed to your car. It will not be able to communicate with the other modules unless this is done, which means that even the passlock reset will not work. This needs to be done by a shop with the right equipment or the dealer. If you had this done let me know and we can continue from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pcm programmed to the car. No start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just talked to my shop mechanic n we never changed the old ignition. So only the pcm was replaced n programmed. Still no start. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what u think
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
What was happening with the vehicle prior to the replacement that resulted in replacing the PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running before we repoed it n then we had to change the steering column n after that the car doesnt want to start.so we thought it was a pcm issue so we changed the pcm n programmed it. Still no start.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Just so I get this right the steering column was first replaced and then it would not start? I need to know so that I know for sure when it started.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No start before the steering column was replaced. So we replaced the column but not the ignition only the programmed pcm
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I am still a little confused and I am sorry about that but I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction. Prior to the steering column and the PCM what work was done to the car and why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vehicle was running before repoed. The last guy who had it took it work everyday. No problem. Right after repo no start. Changed steering column... changed battery changed pcm. No start...just spoke to the person who had it n he verified tht he had no problems with it but he did tell me he had to get a key made for it. We have a duplicate of the old key. Is this my issue?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is more than likely the issue. If he had a new key made for it and had a dealer program it to the dealer then that may be the problem. Does your key turn fine in the ignition? What does the car actually do when you try starting it? Does it crank or act like a dead battery? Any warning lights illuminated on the dash when you try starting it?