Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac SRX: I have a 2013 Cadillac SRX and there is a "knocking

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Cadillac SRX and there is a "knocking / Vibration" sound on the left side of my car when I drive between 30 and 35 and 60 to 65 (approx) or when I give it gas trying to get on the highway. My dealership can't seem to figure out what is going on. They added fuel injection cleaner and told me to add better gas. 2 days later it's still not corrected. Any ideas?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
This is a tough thing to diagnose from my desk, but I have a suspicion of what it is. Driveline vibrations happen to come in right around this range, at 30-35, again at 60-70, and if you were to try it, you'd probably find that it becomes pronounced again at 120-140. Note the math on this. This type of vibration coincides with the resonant frequency of the vehicle, meaning that the noise/vibration is always really there when you're moving, but it "syncs" up with the mass of the car at certain speeds and becomes very noticeable. Based on your description alone, I'd be looking at the driveshaft assembly that goes to the rear of the vehicle for a faulty joint, missing weight, physical damage, etc.