FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac CTS: I have a cadillac cts 2006 3.6. A week ago when

Customer Question

I have a cadillac cts 2006 3.6. A week ago when i got home from work i could smell something burning under the hood. I popped the hood and a bunch of white smoke came out. The car hasn't run since. I replaced the spark plugs, alternator, starter (they were all bad, something may have caused them to go bad). Something drained the battery so i got a new one. Once everything replaced it still wont start and something is still draining the battery quick. Check engine light is on as well. I checked both fuse boxes and everything seems to be fine. What could be the problem?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if that smoke had the smell of plastic or electrical burning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bobby. Yes it smelled like burnt plastic. The alternator and starter also smelled burnt when removed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You need to start by tracing the positive battery cable and wires from the cable. It is common for these to have issues where they wear through, especially near the starter or alternator. Visually follow the wires and look for wear through. If nothing is found I can tell you how to run some tests with a voltage meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to run some test please?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I would start by testing the positive battery cable. You need to test the voltage of the cable at the battery and then follow it to the starter and make sure that the voltage is just about the same. I would then also test it at the fuse box. If the voltages all match within .2 volts then you need to do the same tests with the key on. See if anything changes. Let me know what you find and we can continue from there.