Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

What can be done to improve the cooling capacity of my 1995

Customer Question

What can be done to improve the cooling capacity of my 1995 Cadi Deville Basic?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
Does it have the original radiator in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it has its original radiator which has been flushed out.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
If it still have the original radiator here is what you are probably looking at. What happens is hard deposits form inside the radiator over the years. They are calcium carbonate based. This stuff is hard like a rock and cant be flushed out. This deposit builds up slowly and insulates the radiator from from the coolant in it. When this happens the cooling system slowly looses it ability to cool then engine. The classic symptom is everything is working just fine BUT, on long uphill grades, or when driving real hard the engine will start getting hot. Then when you return to normal driving it is just fine. I have seen this over and over. If left unchecked it slowly progresses. Most radiators 10 years old have a significant amount of this deposit build up in them. Yours is 20 years old, it is very rare for a radiator to make it that long. The radiator is where I would start. If you buy a radiator locally it will probably cost you $150 to $200. On ebay you can get a new radiator with free shipping for $67, and a 1 year warranty. Of course it would have to be installed. I will post a link for that source link HERE . Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.