Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Cadillac SRX: , I was about to go through a car wash today

Customer Question

Hi, I was about to go through a car wash today and the stop engine, low oil pressure message came on. I immediately turned it off and waited a few seconds before turning it back on. Pretty much immediately the message appeared again. I backed out of the car wash and parked on the side to let it sit. After waiting about 10 minutes I turned it back on and the message did not reappear. I had topped the oil off the day prior thinking it was low because the engine was ticking and clattering like it was. It was about a quart low but the engine noise did not stop. I'm thinking my valves and/or lifters need adjusted. My vehicle is an 04 Cadillac SRX 4.6 V8 AWD with about 150k on it.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The engine noise you are hearing along with the low oil pressure message showing usually means the engine oil pressure is low. The place to start it to remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a oil pressure guage and read the oil pressure. Low oil pressure could mean you have a failing pump or a restricted pick up screen and or internal engine damage. I would avoid driving the car until you can get this checked because major damage could be caused if you do in fact have low or no oil pressure.