Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 2007 escalade. It has ticking at start up which goes

Customer Question

I have a 2007 escalade. It has ticking at start up which goes away in 2 to 3 miles. I think it is a sticky lifter. Does this have to be repaired or can I drive like this?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I would add a bottle of "lifter free" to your oil, you may surprised the noise goes away and doesn't come back.
Have had good results with this product.
Just google "lifter free" to see where you can buy it from locally to you.
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not helpful. I can't find anywhere to buy it. Where can I buy it? What happens if I do nothing.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That's odd you can't buy it, I thought you would be able to.
Your local auto parts store should be able to help you.
Here's what you are after, but any product that claims to free varnished/carboned/gummy lifters should do the job:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nulon-Lifter-Free-Tune-Up-LFTU-/151465244136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23440835e8
The valvetrain in any engine should run the way it is designed to run. Whether it is a solid cam with adjustable valve lash, or a hydraulic cam with zero lash. When the "clearance" in incorrect, the clearance gets progressively bigger from the "tapping". Like a little hammer.
One of my sisters cars developed this noise, I fixed it the same day with the above product.
Hope you can find equivalent.
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still want to know if I can just continue to drive the car and live with the noise, and for how long.
thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
It does depend on how loud the ticking is.
Your is a V8, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2?
As you say it here on first cold start, it goes away after 2 - 3 miles, and it if it is only a small ticking noise then 500 miles maybe.
Your engine is very similar to our Gen IV V8, with a hydraulic roller camshaft.
We have many camshaft/roller lifter failures in Australia, what starts out as a ticking can quickly become a permanent tick.
Eventually what happens is while there is noisy "ticking" lifter the roller wheel is skipping over the cam lobe.
The skipping leads to a skidding lifter wheel, once the wheel skids enough it flat spots and now does not roll at all. It then ends up be catastrophic failure of the roller lifter AND camshaft.
Then it engine out, cylinder head off, lifters out camshaft out, replace as necessary.
Can be expensive. ($3000-$5000 AUD for us).
I've seen a few that have destroyed the engine.
So to answer you question how long, I'd say get it looked at soon.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** added Seafoam to the oil. A treatment that is highly rated here. will wait and see if it fixes it. My engine is a 6.2L 2007 Escalade.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, have heard of it, hope it does for you.
You should know after a few days of cold start testing.
Gary