Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac Eldorado: car runs fine no issues. Then out of nowhere

Customer Question

car runs fine no issues. Then out of nowhere the car will not start, complete black out at instrument panel, no lights. Quick battery charge 5 minutes engine starts right up. The car will run for a week to 10 days, again the engine will not start totally dead in the water, no instrument lights. quick charge and away I go until the next no start issue. the car has 101,000 runs quite well. Can you help me??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Even though the battery is only 4 months old I have seen newer batteries fail or act up like this here when it has a shorted cell acting up intermittently in the battery.I have had to replace the battery for this issue here.If the battery was not tested when the vehicle is acting up the battery will test good.If you can have it tested when the vehicle is acting up this will help pinpoint if it is the cause here.
I would check and make sure the battery cables at the battery as well as to where the cables run and connect to are all o.k.I have seen loose and corroded cables cause this issue as well and had to replace or clean the cables and connections for this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I will have my shop check the battery. I believe this was completed last week when they went over this issue. I feel it is another issue. Cadillac seems to have problems with their cars not starting out of the blue and they do not seem to be battery related I was hoping for some other option to look into as it relates to my problem Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The only other issues I have seen that cause this here with what you have described is the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch act up intermittently like this.If the battery is found to be o.k. I would have the electronic ignition switch tested to see if it is the cause here and replaced if found to be the fault.
Thanks Pete