Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac DTS: Smoke is coming from lower right front area,

Customer Question

Smoke is coming from lower right front area, then car was completely drained of all power, not even an interior light would come on. It appears to be a short of some type, what is your idea?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay and I am posting as soon as I saw your question myself.
Smoke and a dead battery or no power indicates a dead short that is either a short with the battery positive or ground cable or a loose connection at the battery or to where the cables run and connect to.This short can also be at the alternator or the starter.
The battery connections and cables need inspected to locate the short.I would trace and check all wiring in the area of the smoke with the battery disconnected and repair any wiring found at fault.I suspect either a component has shorted out like the alternator or starter or a battery power or ground cable has shorted needing replaced.
Thanks Pete