Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Cadillac: I just lost my serpentine belt it started making

Customer Question

I just lost my serpentine belt it started making a loud rattling noise just before it came off I looked under hood and found a round piece of metal Laying just below the idler pulley it looks as though the belt ran on it when I look down in there I see four bolts exposed that this piece of metal fastened on to what is it and can I buy a we one to put on before I install the new belt? 95 caddy sedan deville
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Is it possible to get a picture of what youre saying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not get a pitcure, I'm pretty sur the belt ran on this piece of metal along with the other pulleys. The metal is round and the center of it has been tore out were it bolted on.
OK. Just a moment. Let me get you a belt routing diagram and you can see which pulley is missing. Since you say the idler is there I assume its not the idler so Its probably the tensioner.
Alright. Here is your belt routing diagram. See which one is missing and you will have your answer. Without me seeing it I can only guess which my guess would be its the tensioner pulley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went out and looked at it, pretty sure it is the water pump it bolts on with three bolts that are still there and it turns freely by hand the pulley is smooth no groves for belt to ride in. Here is number on the pulley if this helps. (###) ###-####MP also the bolts are arranged in a triangl shape
Yep. Thats the water pump pulley. If the water pump turns smooth without hanging up and theres no play if you try to rock it and theres no leaks one would have to assume the bolts were loose somehow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekend.