Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac CTS: Pete, My cruise control works o.k. initially

Customer Question

Pete, My cruise control works o.k. initially but then cuts out after 10-15 minutes. What's up?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I simply want your best answer to my question re: my cruise control. I do not wish any contract to answer further questions. I will deal with those as they occur. Thank you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.
There are several components tied into the cruise control operation on your model here.
* The accelerator pedal
* The brake pedal position (BPP) sensor
* The body control module (BCM)
* The cruise on/off switch
* The cruise control cancel switch
* The + RES switch (equivalent to resume/accel switch)
* The - SET switch (equivalent to set/coast switch)
* The engine control module (ECM)
* The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor
* The vehicle speed sensor
Any of the above acting up at all will cut off the cruise control.
Most common to cause this fault that I have seen is the brake pedal position sensor or a wheel speed sensor signal sending an intermittent incorrect wheel speed signal.
Usually a fault code sets with this issue here especially if it is the brake switch itself at fault.If you haven't had the fault codes checked/read out at all this needs done with a scan tool that is compatible with your vehicles computers to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.
I suspect this will be the brake switch or a wheel speed sensor needing replaced but this will need checked into further unfortunately due to all of the components that can cause this issue to make sure of the cause then repaired from there.
One of the components is acting up either due to heat or electrical fault after 10 to 15 minutes of driving and the brake switch is usually most common.
Thanks Pete