FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac STS: 2006 Cadillac STS V6 3.6L 130,000 miles. Issue:

Customer Question

2006 Cadillac STS V6 3.6L 130,000 miles.
Issue: idles at 800RPM, at those RPM, surges, rough, rattling noise. In park, push on gas to increase to 1000rpm, goes away. Driving no issue over 1000rpm, traffic, feather the peddle it stalls, reverse stalls, tight turns in parking lot or drive thru it stalls.
What I've done: plugs changed, air filter changed, coil pack inspected no cracks, no visible vacuum leaks, oil filled, throttle body and plate cleaned, injector cleaner lots, Lucas put in, fuel filter inspected is clean, battery and alternator at 13 to 14v, re secured battery posts, no change.
Is this a common Cadillac issue? Where do I go from here?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Poor fuel economy
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. There are a lot of possible causes of this on your engine, but the most common is worn out timing chains or guides. When the timing chains become loose this will occur. It can also be caused but something simple as a failing throttle body, but that is not as common. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Start by checking to see if you can remove the oil filler cap and run the engine to listen for the noise. You may be able to hear the chain rattle from there. I typically will remove the valve cover to check it.