ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year GM master tech
19513769

Cadillac XLR: fuel is not getting to engine yet the fuel pump

Customer Question

fuel is not getting to engine yet the fuel pump and the relays have been replaced on my 2006 Cadillac XLR. Do you have advise or solution?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is there no measurable pressure at the test port on the fuel rail or no injector pulse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump and relay have been replaced and there is not signal to the fuel pump. Could this be the computer not sending the signal? If it is the computer, can this be replaced at my garage or will I need to have this done at a Cadillac dealer (does the replacement computer need to be uploaded by a dealer ?
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long wait
do you have a multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.
ok if that fuel pump in the right fuel tank is not running when cranking it over then either the pump is bad or the fuel pump control module OR the fuel pump control module is NOT being told to operate the fuel pump wich would be a problem with the dark green / white wire from the computer to the fuel pump module or the computer itself
if this is a fuel pump the right fuel tank has to come out to change the fuel pump and that is a 10 hour job to do so and it can not be done at home as you need a lift
if it is a computer the new computer must be programmed with a programming scan tool and software to your cars VIN number for the new computer to work and that goes for the fuel pump module also that would require programming because it is a module / computer also
any shop can nail down which is causing this problem well within the 1 hour diagnostic charge they have for looking at the car
i am all about fixing and diagnosing at home don't get me wrong but a multi meter will need to be used and more than likely a high end scan tool to see if the fuel pump module is showing data
i sure would hate for you to buy a multi meter then do a few tests and then be stuck on going further without a scan tool to know 100 % what is wrong