Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Deville: I have a 96caddy with no spark and no injector

Customer Question

I have a 96caddy with no spark and no injector pulse. I've replaced both crank sensors and the camshaft sensor, checked for good continuity of all wires to the sensors and ignition module. Oh yeah i replaced the ign. module and the pcm. Also pinned out all of the wires to them. All are good. What else can i do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Using a scan tool, is there any cranking RPM on the data list when you are cranking the engine? Does it stay at 0 rpm or does it read more than that when cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I didn't answer you back sooner but I was at work no I do not have any type of RPM signal on the scanner. there is never any signal whatsoever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
scanner shows 0 rpm
OK, the problem is probably with the CKP circuits. They are delicate, and those wires are in a really tough spot. I'd want to be looking at the CKP wiring where is comes down near the water pump and under the engine mount, and see if you can find any wire damage.
CKP circuits go to the IC module on the back of the engine. What we don't know is whether the CKP signal is good to the IC module, and whether the IC module is not sending the signal on to the PCM. You'd need a lab scope to nail that down, but at least the connections at the IC are easy to get to, if you have the equipment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as previously stated I already told you I check the wiring from both crankshaft sensor to the IC module .the wires are good. tje sensors are new. the ignition module is new wiring from the ignition module to the PCM is good what next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope you don't think I'm trying to be a smart ass but I'm a master mechanic I work for Toyota for 24 years but sometimes everybody has a problem that can't fix that's why I turn to you guys I appreciate your help
I don't think that at all. It's hard for me to judge what someone's capability is from where I sit. Would you like some schematics that show how this circuit works? The giveaway here is a lack of cranking RPM, that PCM must not be seeing CKP input at all, so it has to come back to that. Wiring that tests OK can still be chafed and touching ground, which is a very real problem on the Northstar engine. The CKP wiring lives in a pretty hostile place, and especially if someone has had this engine apart before, they can get pretty rough on that wiring, or misroute it. One grounded signal wire and that's the end of the CKP signal, so it's important to not overlook. How did this start, did it just not start one day, or was there a repair or something that preceded it?