Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

The original issue was a broken cam actuator sprocket which

Customer Question

The original issue was a broken cam actuator sprocket which caused a collision in the #5 cylinder. I replaced the broken piston and the valves and also replaced crankshaft bearings and piston rings while in there, also new timing chain kit. So now with
engine back in I have an even 90 pounds of compression on all cylinders; not enough to start the car. If I activate the V V T solenoids (releasing oil pressure), compression jumps to 150. But I have to manually activate solenoids. Cadillac says solenoids are
not activated at startup. I have now replaced the cam phasers thinking they could be clogged or something. No change. The security light is not flashing. What am I missing? John
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If there are any fault codes set in the engine computer this may be disabling the solenoids causing this issue here.If this has not been checked to see if any codes are setting this needs done and any codes setting need diagnosed and repaired. If no codes are set and the solenoids are not activating like they should this may be due to an internal electrical fault in the engine computer itself needing replaced.I would make sure as well that all electronics were connected on the engine when the repairs were done to see if a sensor was left unplugged. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I stated in my question, the solenoids are not supposed to activate during starting.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as I read part of that differently. Have you double checked to make sure all timing components were installed correctly and lined up properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked timing at least 6 or 7 times. I have even put the old chains and tensioners back on eliminating a defective timing kit. (The car ran after I replaced Just the broken phaser and then discovered the bad #5 cylinder). Is there something that the cam locks do that is not accomplished by having the cams in the rest position when installing the chains? I don't understand the purpose of cam locks to hold cams in the rest position.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Looking through my info on this model here it isn't real clear on the locks or their purpose/operation.It will be best for me to see if someone else here can assist more on this. I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it. Thanks Pete