FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac DTS Platinum: My 2011 DTS will sometimes take 15 -

Customer Question

My 2011 DTS will sometimes take 15 - 20 tries to start when warm. It does not always happen.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. When the car does not start will it crank and not start or does it act more like a dead battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It cranks fine. It cranks and cranks. Seems like no fuel is coming and then on try 17 or 21, it starts.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. When this occurs have you noticed any warnings on the dash like "security" or "no Fob" when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. From what you are explaining, the most common cause that I have seen to cause this on your vehicle is the electronic ignition switch. This is the push button start assembly. It fails internally and does not send the correct signal to get all of the modules online to start the vehicle. Having a manufacturer scan tool installed while trying to start it when the problem occurs is the main way to verify it. This can become hard to diagnose. I would replace this switch assembly with a new one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My DTS has a key start. Is there an electronic ignition switch when there is a key start? Also, this does not happen each time I start the car. Often the car starts up fine on the first try. Then, out of the blue, it takes 15+ tries to start it.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Since you have the key start you still have an ignition switch, it is just a little different. The key switch is a more common failure than the push button switch. What happens is that every now and then it sends little to know voltage due to internal resistance which keeps it from starting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is more information. When this occurs, each time I turn the key it initiates the cranking function. It doesn't start however and sounds like it is not getting gas. When it does start finally, it starts immediately. Does that change your diagnosis? Is it possible that the fuel pump module is functioning intermittently?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
That is always a possibility. The only way to tell for sure would be with a fuel pressure gauge when it is occurring. The problem is testing it during failure.