Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 01 cadillac sts. drivers door lock works(the rest

Customer Question

I have a 01 cadillac sts. drivers door lock works(the rest do not), driver door window works(the rest do not). The radio,sunroof, dash info, and headlights just went out yesterday.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Receiving service electrical system notification as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some sort of module that may control all of these items that could be bad?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.I suspect this will be a fault with a body control module causing the issues here but the codes will need read out to be sure and then tested from there.
You might also inspect the wiring leading from the body to the door on the drivers side and see if any wiring issues are present needing repaired as this can also cause faults like this here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attempted to attach 2 different scan tools and they fail to connect. I check both scan tools on my other cadillac and they scan fine. The fuses were checked to verify that a bad fuse wasn't the culprit of failing to scan. The wiring was also checked with the door panel off to see if there were any pinched, open, or loose wires/connections.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What do the scan tools display when you try and use them to communicate with your vehicles computers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 states not connected, the other goes into sleep mode. As previously stated they both connect and register to my other Cadillac.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.From what you have described here this sounds like one of the computers in your vehicle is shorting out the data line circuit making it to where the scan tools cannot communicate.I have seen this occur before.What I have had to do was disconnect each computer one at a time until you come across the computer that when disconnected then allows the vehicle to communicate with the scan tool,this is usually the computer needing replaced.I would check for any shorted or damaged wiring causing issues as well needing repaired or replaced.Starting at the data link connector and working back from there.This type of fault here can be difficult to fully pinpoint without the proper diagrams and locations of all computers. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will give this a try. I do have the electrical diagram for this car and attempt you process of illumination this evening.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know what you come up with here. Thanks Pete