Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Cadillac seville: I have a 97 Seville with 75k on it. The oil

I have a 97 Seville with 75k on it. The oil light flickers at idle when the ac is on. Also it doesn't start up right away, it takes two to three tries. I got a code for P1258 P0101. I changed the maf sensor and added coolant. The code went away be it still has hard starts. I changed spark plugs and fuel filter but it doesn't start up on first try. Oh yeah, I added seafoam to clean my injectors too.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your Cadillac problem.

Because the oil light can mean significant engine problems exist, I suggest checking/repairing that first. Replace the oil pressure switch since you have a new one already. If you have access to a manual oil pressure gauge, take a reading of the engines oil pressure. If the pressure reading is low or the light continues to come on after replacing the oil pressure switch, you have some more serious issues. At that point you can try replacing the oil pump to fix the problem.

The hard start is likely due to low fuel pressure from a weak fuel pump. Test pressure and then replace the pump if necessary.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how about the fuel pump relay/switch, could that be bad?

It is possible, but not likely that the fuel pump relay is bad. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to run. It should run for two seconds each time the key is turned to the ON position. If the fuel pump runs then the relay is good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Oh so that humming noise coming from the rear of the car is a good thing? I was just about to mention about that noise. Where is the nipple to test the fuel pressure?

The humming noise is the fuel pump.

The fuel pressrue test port is located on the fuel rail under the intake manifold top cover.

Fuel pressure should be 48-55 psi with the key on, engine off. If fuel pressure is lower than specified, replace the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Should fuel drip from the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line when the ignition switch is on?

No it should not. If you have fuel leaking from the regulator, this will flood the engine and make it hard to start. You will need to replace the fuel pressure regulator. This should fix the starting problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did an it started right up

Very good. Let me know if I can help you further. If you are satisfied, please rate my service below.

Dave

Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification