FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac Sedan Deville: My Cadillac Sedan Deville does not

My Cadillac Sedan Deville does not shift into low gear. Starts off sluggish especially on unlevel survace. Fuel comsumption has increased dramatically. Runs fine when speed accelerates to 45-50 MPH . I also sho an intermittent ABS light. Does this light have to do with my shifting problem also? Appreciate some guidance. Thanks

FIXITMAN :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on also? How many miles are on the vehicle? How does it idle?

Customer:

Check engine light does come on intermittently does not stay on all the time. ABS notification light also is intermittent and does not stay on all the time. Mileage on this vehicle is 498,000 and idle is smooth. No Sir, I am not ready to scrap it yet. It has not had anything major wrong with it over the years. I have serviced it regularly oil changes, filters etc. all that. I put new plugs in about six weeks ago.

FIXITMAN :

Did the ABS light come on right when the vehicle started driving like this?

Customer:

No, long before this happened.

FIXITMAN :

Okay. I do not think that these are related. It sounds like you have a failed catalytic converter. If the converter fails it will keep the exhaust from leaving the engine which will cause the vehicle to act like this. If it is not the converter then it may be a problem with the transmission speed sensor, but most of the time this will also cause the speedometer to act up.

Customer:

Speedometer does not act up. Vehicle just takes off in high gear which puts a strain on when say the vehicle is stopped at a traffic light that is on an incline. So how big of a job is replacing the transmission speed sensor? Do you have to drop the transmission or can it be accessed through the pan.

FIXITMAN :

No, the sensor is fairly easy to replace, but if it was the problem then the speedometer would also be acting up. I would have the converter checked first. Most exhaust shops can easily check this for you.

Customer:

Thanks I will try that. Can I still chat with you concerning this issue If need be..how far does my initial $18 go?

FIXITMAN :

Yes, just come back here and we can continue. Even after you accept and rate we can continue. I am here to help until this issue is taken care of.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks It could be a day or two before I get back come back on. Need to check out the converter.